Thursday, February 19, 2015

Playing catch-up: incomings from Linda French, Neil Gordon


Wowser, I just realized it's been a while since I've posted the beauties I find in my mailbox, so today there will be two posts. This one is about two singular pieces. First one arrived from Linda French in a fat envelope with a lot of other stuff, but the other stuff was mostly nifty snipped items to cheer me up and fortify me for the ongoing wait to be mobile once again. {Speaking thereof, I will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow, and if he doesn't release me from this hard cast on my leg I intend to be supremely, and loudly, annoyed!}



It's a very colorful and expressive non-representative work on paper. My guess is a monotype, or, more likely, a monoprint using acrylics, perhaps on a Gelli plate or similar. I like the layering of the translucent pigments. A fun piece for sure. Linda, your artwork was much more cheering than the cartoon snips. Thanks much!

Next is a recent arrival from Neil Gordon. I was happy to see that one in the mail, because I last received a piece from Neil a bit more than a year ago and I just realize that I have never returned that favor. Well, except for a special-occasion bananagram sent last week, but I owe him, and I'm happy to see he's still corresponding with me.


Neil's gift is a collage made on a vintage postcard of the famous image of Edwin Aldrin's mirrored visor reflecting the image of Neil Armstrong taking his picture. The location: Tranquility Base. The date: 7/20/1969.  Can such an image be topped? Of course it can. This is mail art, after all, and Neil has done so with a hint of cheesecake and a refreshing beverage that seems suited to relieving the symptoms of delirium tremens. A very cool card, Neil. I might even call it "far out!" Thanks. Now watch for your banana, sir.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the card and thanks for the glowing review, esp. the "cheesecake" element which you picked up on, prayers for you and your recovery, no fun seeing the surgeon... Love the wallpaper behind the blog.. your work???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Neil, you mean Mr. Yellow Face? Yes, I don't venture far or often into the worlds of painting and drawing, but he is one of rare exceptions.

    ReplyDelete