Thursday, April 2, 2015

Banana Fortnight Extended: I'm Stuck on the StickerDude


Joel Cohen, in NYC, is The Sticker Dude, and if he is not in your correspondence network, he should be. Wonderfully nutty, Joel's take on reality reminds me of some of the gang from the old Peace Eye Bookstore, Ed Sanders's hole-in-the-wall-of-reality in the East Village of the late 60s. Do you understand Yippie! of maybe Fug-it? Well maybe I'm just getting old....

;-}




This is an envelope from a fellow who is not afraid to play. Peter Pan is alive and well in mail art! Don't grow up, for Heaven's sake. Just Don't! I get it. I like it.

Riding the spirit of World Banana Day, which I celebrated with other celebrants over at IUOMA-Ning's Bananas group led ably by Neil Artist-in-Seine, Sticker Dude has graced my mailbox with a bit of banana-scented artwork and one of his stickers derived therefrom. Enjoy:


And as a bonus--a helluva bonus!--Joel has included a copy of a wonderful booklet he, as publisher/editor of Ragged Edge Press, produced in 1998. It's Vittore Baroni's work, Mail Arts' Eternal Network: A Fountain of Youth. An insightful and still timely essay into the Never-Never-Land quality of art's biggest and longest-lasting underground movement. The book is illustrated with works from mail-artists' responses to a call from Vittore. It's a great little book, and if haven't seen it, I suggest you beg, borrow, steal, or, gasp!, purchase a copy from Joel at Ragged Edge Press. Go on...Google him!


Thanks, Sticker Dude. Very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment