Sunday, April 12, 2015

Of Hams in Cars: A big card from Borderline Grafix

I think every piece of mail art I've received from B-G over the past couple years has been something completely new and different.  Each one seems to bring in new techniques, new media, new sorts of imagery. Some have been postcards. Some have come in big envelopes. Some have been artist stamps. All have been great fun to receive.


This new one is no exception. A big mixed media card with two car-related images on one side with an address side sporting a nifty sticker and B-G 's always-present stampings. Both of the car images seem to date from the 60s. The upper image is a car I am hard-pressed to identify. I think my internal encyclopedia of 50s-60s American automobiles is way above average, but I cannot pin down this beauty. My intution says something Ramblerish or even Studebakerish, but I need help. Anyone have the answer?  Whatever the model, it just looks dandy in those big old half-tone-screen dots and Biggie's painted embellishments.

Now here's what ties the two images together beside their decade of provenance.  The bumper of the upper vehicle and the dashboard of the lower one both sport the accoutrements of amateur radio operators: the "hams" in this blogs title. That station wagon is sporting a big ol' fiberglass radio antenna. What exactly the fellow is doing with that hand piece in the other car is another mystery to me. I assume it's a mic, but it also seems to have a view screen of sorts, but this image is way older than even the oldest iPod or other portable visual device. Any insights?

I always like mysteries and any mail that keeps me running back to Bing and Google to solve them. Thanks B-G.


No comments:

Post a Comment