Sunday, April 19, 2015

What Goes Around Comes Around: Collappropriation with David Stafford

Always happy to see mail art for Rob and I from Dave Stafford. Never quite know what to expect. today's treat is a two-sided 5x7-ish card in a plain brown wrapper. On one side:


 Some well-used rifle cartridge shells standing on a well-used table top or something similar. Shells appear to be perhaps .223 Remington or the military equivalent .556 NATO.  Has Dave been hunting? Just finished up a weekend of National Guard duty? A tour in Afghanistan? These are perhaps found objects of uncertain provenance? Whatever the image's source, the dark sepia tone, the strong diagonal lines and the symbolic power of old brass make for a cool picture.

Now, flipping the card over:


I find a 40s-50s-vintage headless dress model, a yellow-orange pomegranate- and a graphically-flat spray of roses have invaded a print of mine called "Sentinal" featuring a Sentinal Oak draped with moss standing along an inlet in Beaufort, South Carolina. Oh my.

That print was one I made for a gallery exhibition I had, called "I am a Tree Hugger," for Earth Day in 2012. As Earth Day 2015 is very much upon us, here is another image from my Tree Hugger show for you to work with. Consider it a velvet gauntlet thrown down.



Thanks for bringing color to our world, David!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent m-a and commentary. Of course, I like the bullets.

    "Collappropriation" is a great merging of two currently trendy terms. I don't mean they are negative terms. They are just used a lot these days.

    ReplyDelete